Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Revamp your budget & home...


Hey Loves! Happy Wednesday! I can't believe that tomorrow is Thanksgiving! After that the craziness really starts with the holidays then we'll be starting a new year! So since it's the end of the year I always like to look at all areas in my life and really notice what needs some fixing up. Whether it be decluttering before the end of the year, redoing my budget, or other things it is important to get it done. How about you? Do you like to revamp your life not only at the beginning of the year but also as well as the end of it? 

There's something about starting the holiday season off feeling organized and on top of things. The biggest thing I like to start with is my home. I deep clean it once a week, but now I am also getting rid of old junk before the new goodies from Christmas come in. Here are some tips that I have done recently to feel clear headed and calm before the chaos. 
 
1) Start with your closets and grab trash bags. One for trash and one for the Goodwill. I like to go through & get rid of old clothes I don't wear. They say if it's been there a year, toss it. I toss things in months lol! 
2) Go through your junk drawer...I'll have pictures put aside I've been meaning to mail out or stationary that I've been meaning to use. Put it in a pile so you get to it. It always makes people feel good to get mail not only through the year, but especially the holidays. Make sure all your pens, highlighters and the rest still work too. 
3) Go through your magazines. This is a big one! I have been called the magazine hoarder so what I do is every month or so I sit down and go through each one. I tear out interesting articles I want to still read, products I want to buy, recipes and so on. Then I seperate them in a folder with files by category. Fitness, Inspiring articles, recipes, makeup...etc. It makes things easier. 
4) Clean out your car! Now that your house is done, you want to feel zen away from home. Do a deep clean and take in the house all the things you keep forgetting in there such as shoes, jackets, and so on. Then end your car revamp with a yummy smelling car plug in too.

So now that I've gone over organizing your home, I think now it's time to tell you how I'm working on my budget so I don't feel depressed after Christmas haha. No but seriously we have a baby on the way and were saving for a house. Here's some tips that have helped me that I'm hoping will help you...
1) Minamize the gifts you buy...every other year is fine to splurge on more people or nicer presents, but doing that consistently can be too much. Especially if you have a  financial goal in mind like saving for a house or paying down your debt.
2) Let your close girlfriends or family ahead of time that you won't be exchanging gifts this year. We're at least doing our immediate family, but as far as my girlfriends and their kids I just can't do it this year. And they've all been super sweet and understanding too.
3) Remember it doesn't always have to be something you spend money on. You can bake for your loved ones if you feel bad not giving them anything...everyone loves desserts! 
4) Meal Plan Weekly. Look at your calender for upcoming holiday parties and meals out. Then plan the rest of your meals at home. It's like you're on a diet where eating at home is better for you than eating out. Except it's a financial diet! Also try to ditch to a grocery budget. Ours is about $150 a week: I don't always stick to it, but I try. 
5) Use the cash system. I used this before I even realized it was a thing. There's a ton of financial you tubers who talk about this...but I went one step further than I used to by making wallet seperation slots. I got this idea from youtuber "OCD Much?" Love her channel
and her advice! All you do is get index cards (I still had to cut mine to fit my wallet though.) Then I put post it's on them by category. "Gas, Groceries, and Me. I also made one for receipts. You just slip them where the money would go. When we swipe our debit card nonstop, we can easily lose track of what we spend. 

So there you have it...my tips for revamping your home, car and even your wallet. I am by no means perfect and believe me I'm still trying to work on my TJ Maxx addiction. When things are zen like in your outside circumstances, the mind naturally will follow. This is a gift you're giving to yourself by minimizing stress! I hope this post inspired you in some way and I hope you have a beautiful holiday tomorrow!   

No comments:

Post a Comment